SEC. 4201. PURPOSE; DEFINITIONS.
(a) PURPOSE- The purpose of this part is to provide opportunities for communities to establish or expand activities in community learning centers that —
(1) provide opportunities for academic enrichment, including providing tutorial services to help students, particularly students who attend low-performing schools, to meet State and local student academic achievement standards in core academic subjects, such as reading and mathematics;
(2) offer students a broad array of additional services, programs, and activities, such as youth development activities, drug and violence prevention programs, counseling programs, art, music, and recreation programs, technology education programs, and character education programs, that are designed to reinforce and complement the regular academic program of participating students; and
(3) offer families of students served by community learning centers opportunities for literacy and related educational development.
(b) DEFINITIONS- In this part:
(1) COMMUNITY LEARNING CENTER- The term community learning center means an entity that —
(A) assists students in meeting State and local academic achievement standards in core academic subjects, such as reading and mathematics, by providing the students with opportunities for academic enrichment activities and a broad array of other activities (such as drug and violence prevention, counseling, art, music, recreation, technology, and character education programs) during nonschool hours or periods when school is not in session (such as before and after school or during summer recess) that reinforce and complement the regular academic programs of the schools attended by the students served; and
(B) offers families of students served by such center opportunities for literacy and related educational development.
(2) COVERED PROGRAM- The term covered program means a program for which —
(A) the Secretary made a grant under part I of title X (as such part was in effect on the day before the date of enactment of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001); and
(B) the grant period had not ended on that date of enactment.
(3) ELIGIBLE ENTITY- The term eligible entity means a local educational agency, community-based organization, another public or private entity, or a consortium of two or more of such agencies, organizations, or entities.
(4) STATE- The term State means each of the 50 States, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.